Key Passage: Joshua 1:1-9
Key Text; Joshua 1:8 – ‘This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.’
This is a continuation of my last blog, when I started exploring the awesome benefits of obeying God. As I have studied this subject, I have discovered that history is divided into two main categories, those who obeyed God and those who did not. I am also quite amazed at how many specific blessings are tied to obedience. In today’s passage, it is clear that God instructed Joshua to ensure he obeys the word of God and so his walk in life will be successful and prosperous. God gave Him the key to walking in obedience. He told him he had to meditate in the word, day and night and he must keep on confessing the word of God. I really believe that one of the easiest ways to develop a heart of obedience is to keep dwelling and meditating on the words of God and never let any of the things of this world take our hearts off what God says. We believe God regardless, and if we do we would go His way and not the way of the world.
Here are seven more blessing s of obedience for you to ponder.
6. Recognition – The Lord knows those who are His. He also knows those who are genuinely doing His work and those who are just fooling around. Obedience to God, means you get special recognition and disobedience means He denies knowing you. God never denies those who do his will and obey Him.
I Never Knew You
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name? ’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.
7. Protection from Global Troubles – One thing we can be sure of in this world and these days, is that there will continue to be global shakings. God has declared it and no amount of economic bail out packages or human strategies will stop the shakings. They will continue until Jesus returns. But there is a place where you are insulated and cushioned from the effects of all these shakings. Jesus said those who hear His words and do them are like those who have built their houses on the rock. Most activities of life that we engage in daily running helter skelter have no real foundations and cannot withstand the shakings of God. But what ever we do in obedience to God becomes ‘shake proof’. Be wise and obey God and build on His words and not man’s thoughts or wisdom.
Build on the Rock
24 “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: 25 and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
8. Brothers and Sisters of God – What a joy to be called a brother or sister of God. Jesus said in clear terms that those who are His family members are those who do His will and honour him with their lives. It is not our profession alone that makes us God’s family; it also has a lot to do with our obedience. It is amazing how much is tied to simply obeying.
50 For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.”
New King James Version (NKJV)
21 But He answered and said to them, “My mother and My brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it.”
9. Honour From God – Again, those who obey the Lord get special honours. Jesus said God would honour those who do His will. I can only wonder what that honour will feel and be like. Men mostly seek the honour that comes from men, but it is wise to seek the honour that comes from God. The honour of men is transient and ephemeral, and fades away so quickly, but the honour that comes from God is eternal.
26 If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honour.
10. God’s Presence – This is a really fantastic promise tied to obedience. Jesus said that if anyone loves Him, he will obey His word and the Father will love that person too, but more profound is the fact that Jesus, The Father and the Holy Spirit will come and dwell with such a person. God wants to make a habitation with you, but you have to obey Him.
23 Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
11. Eternal Legacy – We must be aware of the things we are building. Is it going to last beyond this life? There are things we engage in that has no eternal benefit. Yet we can spend our time on earth so wisely that for all eternity, what we did will continue to stand and be a testimony to the life we lived here on earth. Just think for a moment about this, after it is all done, will your legacy be remembered for all eternity?
1 John 2:17
New King James Version (NKJV)
17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.
12. Friends of God – Finally, I see no GREATER accolade God can bestow on a man, that this, to be called His friend. Not many biblical men attained this position, but it is open to all who would obey Him. Abraham is God’s friend. He attained this status because he obeyed God. Jesus also called His disciples His friends, because they know and do his will. Are you a friend of God?
John 15:1414 You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.
We should do our best to always obey God in all matters, Big or Small.
Philippians 2:1313 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
Let’s Pray – Father, Help us to obey you in all things and at all times. In Jesus name. Amen.